This week, lectures 3 and 4 of your course are about:
Classification and Identification of Microbes.
(Part1/Chapter 2 in your book)
The following are the learning objectives for this lecture. Use them as review questions to guide you through your study. They tell you what is more important in this chapter… Feel free to suggest more questions and to ask for details in the comments section. Please include your name and student# if you wish follow-up on your questions.
Note: The learning objectives are mainly taken from Bauman’s Microbiology which is one of the textbooks I use to prepare your lectures.
Learning Objectives/ Review Questions:
* Define binomial nomenclature.
* Discuss the purposes of classification and identification of organisms.
* Discuss the difficulties in defining species of microorganisms.
* Describe the historical attempts to classify living organisms.
* List and describe the three domains proposed by Carl Woese.
* Compare and contrast fungi, algae, and plants
* Compare and contrast bacteria and archaea.
* Mention the main differences between rickettsiae, chlamidiae, and mycoplasma.
* Mention the different bacterial shapes.
* Mention the differences between spirochaetes and spirilla.
* Discuss whether viruses are living organisms.
* Describe how viruses and prions propagate.
If you can answer the above questions, you know it all!